From Canary With Love - San Antonio de BĂ©jar

Photo Blogging San Antonio, one enchilada at a time...

March 9, 1731, sixteen families (56 people) from the Canary Islands, often referred to as the "Canary Islanders," arrived at the Presidio of San Antonio de Bexar in the Province of Texas. By royal decree of the King of Spain, they founded La Villa de San Fernando and established the first civil government in Texas which would later be known as San Antonio de Bejar.

My name is Trey Dunn and I have lived here many years now and over the years fallen in love with this city. The more I travel, the more I see just how unique this city is in comparison with other cities in the US. So I wanted to try and document the city one photo at a time.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Monte Vista Historical Neighborhood



This neighborhood is just awesome. Monte Vista's approximately one hundred blocks comprise fourteen platted subdivisions. The district takes its name from the largest of these developments, platted in 1920. Distinguished residential architecture, primarily from San Antonio's "Gilded Age," defined as extending from 1890 to 1930, forms the most extensive and intact neighborhood of this era in Texas.



Walking or biking in this neighborhood is like stepping back in time. Suddenly the crazy traffic between San Pedro and McCoullough melts away. Giant old Oak trees spring up in every yard eclisping houses and civilization. I can only imagine what it must be like to live in this storied neighborhood.



The houses range in style from Colonial Revival to Mediterrean. Giant columns frame the front of some houses while quaint red window frames boldly stand out on others. Since I live in a neighborhood adjacent (the other side of the tracks) to this one, I feel like a part of it. It makes me wish I earned a six figure salary so that I could be more of a part of it. But as an outsider I will always look into this neighborhood and feel like it is my own.

Neigborhood website

Loads of pictures of the houses in the neighborhood

2 comments:

Darin Dunn said...

Great job with the blog. The pics are beautiful. I look forward to seeing more.

This neighborhood has some special memories for me as well. I got my first kiss on Lynwood Ave. :)

Trey Dunn said...

That would make for some nice memories!